This phrase has become my motto lately.
While I am very thankful for all that I have in life, sometimes it is hard to escape the negativity that tends to creep in, because it usually does so all at once. I have said more than once on this blog - and in the real world - that I am feeling overwhelmed.
That hasn't changed. In fact, I think it is getting worse. Nobody panic, I'm not suicidal or anything, lol. But I do feel incredibly overwhelmed.
This downward spiral began slowly with Harley, two years ago next month. And has since catapulted itself full-force into my life. It will pass, it always does. I keep trying to count how many "things" have taken place, to see if I am up to 3, or 6, or 9...but the truth is, I have lost count.
So, it is what it is. Right? Right.
Promise was doing better yesterday. She is still very lame, but was able to walk with me down to the arena and we did 4 complete loops around the perimeter. She was slightly winded from the effort (and no doubt, the heat, too - she was slightly damp with sweat, I was soaked), nothing major, but I could see her breathing heavier than when she is standing still. So, we rested for a minute or so before climbing the hill back to the barn and she caught her breath quickly while I gave her a bath.
I have discovered the good thing about having a lame mare is that I was able to check and clean her teats with little trouble, lol. She shifted her weight some, and looked at me like, "Mooooom, you're embarrassing me!!" but otherwise didn't fuss, and let me clean them up pretty thoroughly. Terribly gross job, but definitely needed to get done this time around. YUCK. She looked at me afterwards like, "Oh, you're right...that does feel better!"
And, I am so glad I have a mare!!!
Anyway, after the full bath, tail-washing, etc. I brought her back to the barn and sprayed her down with fly spray, sprayed her tail with show sheen, then went to overflow a wheelbarrow full of hay for her lunch. And finally, rubbed the stifle down with liniment.
I was not able to find the STP pain reliever, so have an email out to the barn owner to order some more, and I'll reimburse her with my September board check. I'm not sure Promise really needs to have it, as she is bearing weight on the leg, but it can't hurt to have some on hand.
I have also asked her if they can put a round bale in the stall with her, or in an empty stall and move her for several hours each day.
My goal with this lay-up is to keep weight on her, and get her sound. And I really don't want to contemplate the options if she doesn't come out of it sound.
PS
Oh, and did I mention she lost a shoe? Yep. Left front is shoeless.
No comments:
Post a Comment