Monday, July 27, 2009

The price I pay for forgetting my gloves

I finally managed to get my life in order enough, and wake up early enough, to ride on Saturday. I got to the barn around 8, and worked quickly to get her ready. It was already getting pretty hot and sticky. I had to clean my saddle before I put it on her, because much to my surprise, it was sprouting mold. Not good. And, apparently based on what I've read so far, using lexol wasn't the best idea. I'll have to do some more research so I can try to get it under control. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know in the comments.


Once we were ready, I walked her down to the round pen to lunge her for a few minutes, since it had been a month, if not more, since I've ridden. She was very forward, and hunter-ish - with long, ground-covering strides at the trot and canter. Her hind end is getting a lot more muscular, and as a result, it seems her movement has smoothed out. I was enjoying watching her, but since she wasn't doing anything bad, and I didn't want to wear her out, I had to let her stop, lol. I mounted, and she walked (ok, pranced) right off, ears forward and ready to go.


As soon as I got on, I wanted to kick myself. I forgot to put my gloves on before we left her stall. Great. Guaranteed blisters, and it's my own fault. I decided to suck it up and deal with my mistake, because I didn't want to waste valuable riding time with no one else around to dismount, walk back to the barn, get the gloves, walk back to the arena and remount. I decided we would mostly work at the walk - even though it doesn't matter, I still get blisters no matter how light of a ride it is. I spent a lot of time working on direct and indirect reins. And, keeping my hands steady while using them and asking her to bend around my leg. We did some lateral work, too, to encourage her to take the steadiness at her mouth and work into it, engaging her hind end. I spent most of it with my feet out of my stirrups for better leg movement, to lengthen them, and because it's more work, even at the walk! When I picked them up again, they felt incredibly short, which is good.


We had some really nice moments, and when I asked her to trot, it really felt put together. She was soft in my hand, and round throughout her body. Plus, her trot was smooth and engaged, making it easier to post properly. I have been working out 5 days a week (Jillian Michaels' 30-day Shred DVD) and can feel I am getting stronger in every day life. The fact that I was able to physically and consciously stop (mostly) my body from bouncing when I was posting (with Promise's help, of course) proves it even more. I was very proud of myself, and I think it resulted in a better ride. :)


That's pretty much it. We didn't trot long, and I called it a day when my fingers could no longer take the pain. My left ring finger was mostly protected because I wear a ring on it, but my right ring finger has a pretty ugly blister on it. The price I pay for forgetting my gloves.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Ooops! So sorry for the finger/hand sores! That sucks...I have gloves stuffed into the 3 helmets I have..I actually velcro themt ogether and then attac=h them to the chin strap of the helmet too.
    I hate not having what I want handy...so this helped me not to be without!

    What an awesomne report on your ride..was totally there and feeling it. Good job..am happy to hear of your connection and ease getting back in the saddle!

    Well, my sissy taught me to use good old saddle soap( Fiebing's) is my fav..and warm water.
    Funny too..I have some very expensive Stubben stuff and some Passier balms as well...that Fiebing's..it always makes the leather soo supple and when you dry coat it by ringing the cloth or sponge out more, it really seals the leather too.
    Cheap fixes are the best. MY saddle maker Hans says that leather is jsut like our skin..needs to be cleaned and lubricated..it breathes. Try hotter water to open the pores first..before the SS.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson