Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I've lost my momentum. Did you notice?

I haven't ridden in two weeks. I have no real excuse other than being busy, lazy and it being too hot. If I don't get there early enough (like, I need to be in the saddle by 9, at the absolute latest), it's just too hot and humid to ride. Welcome to late spring in Florida. Summer will be even worse. I can't bring myself to ride in the evening. I have always preferred mid-morning.



I spent a little while with her Saturday, brushed her -- she's shed out of some of her winter coat already (YAY!), then took her to the round pen to play a bit. She was pretty full of herself, and I really wish I could have turned her out in the arena for a few minutes, but there was a lesson going on. She worked up a little bit of a sweat in 15-20 minutes, so got hosed off before getting tucked in for her afternoon nap.


I forgot my camera. I'll try again this weekend! I want to ride, and I would love to long line her in the arena. The problem is finding a quiet time to do it...I usually end up in the round pen. So, worst case, I am hoping to ride twice this weekend.


Other than that, I heard rumor that the tenants on the property are unable to muck stalls and so have emailed the barn owner to see if I can offer my services on the weekends to work off some board. She may say no, but it doesn't hurt to ask, and every little bit of money saved helps.






What else...what else?
I am not enjoying the water ban in SW Florida, because it means I have to pay to wash my car, which means I am not washing it every 2 weeks like I had planned to do. Who wants to pay to wash the car when they can wash it in their driveway (provided there are no water use restrictions)? So, every now and then I take the 10 cent savings per gallon of gas and go through the wash at the gas station, but I don't want to keep doing that, because I don't want to chance that someday the machine is going to gash or chip my paint. 


My boyfriend is still smoke-free...it's been a month or so. I'm really proud of him for sticking with it, and going cold-turkey. We have had a few arguments about his mood swings. I understand them, and why they are happening, but they are not an excuse to take the withdrawal out on me, and he needs to find a way to get them under control. I think I finally, truly got the point across to him that he has really been crossing the line, and he has been a million times better.  


He starts classes next month, since he hasn't been able to find work in his field. He is starting with CNA classes, and should be certified to work in Florida in August. So, we've been updating his resume in preparation for applying to some jobs about halfway through the course, and then come fall, he is planning to do EMT courses, and should be certified for that in January. That gives him two options for work, and a bunch of different companies to choose from. Florida is desperate for both CNAs and EMTs. His tuition for summer was paid with a scholarship, and he should get financial aid for the fall. The enrollment also qualified him to continue on unemployment, which is good, because he hasn't been in school in a long time, and will need to be able to focus on studying.




I think that's about it. I still have two posts in the works, but it's slow going and I haven't had much motivation to write. Too much going on to focus my thoughts!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson