Monday, April 6, 2009

Have you seen this?

Have you seen "Marley & Me" yet? I watched it Saturday night after getting home from my nephew's birthday party. It was really good, and I recommend seeing it. However, I strongly suggest bringing a box of tissues, and maybe your favorite teddy bear. The last 30 minutes had me crying, and I'm pretty sure I continued crying for at least an hour after the movie was over and I had gone to bed. It brought back a LOT of memories about Harley.


My boyfriend wanted to watch it and I told him he'd have to do it alone, but I would bring him the DVD. I don't think I'll be watching that movie again for a long time! A tough one for me emotionally. 






I went to see Miss Promise yesterday, mid-morning. I didn't ride, because it was too humid for me (oh boy, those summer temps are sneaking up pretty quick...boo!!), and she's still sporting a pretty heavy coat, surprisingly. It is still getting somewhat cool at night, so that's probably why. I spent a while grooming her, talking to her, and stealing a much needed hug after that movie. I got the evil-pony-eye when I commented on how clean she's stayed since her bath a couple of weeks ago. I have a feeling she won't be quite as clean when I see her on Friday. 


I shuffled Aries out of the arena into the adjacent stall and then turned  her out for a few minutes to run around and play. She galloped around like a psycho and bucked quite a bit. Really nice to see - she's feeling good physically and mentally. It also means she's not harboring any soreness. She's looking really great. I can see the ripple of ribs from a distance, but can't see them up close or even feel them. It's clear she's lost some weight, and seems to be staying where she is, which is considerably healthier than where she was. I'm keeping an eye on it, though, to make sure I don't need to increase her feed. I have a feeling she'll maintain this weight through the summer, and that I may have to increase her feed come fall, when it starts cooling off again. She's muscled up a bit from being more active, as well. And, since she's in her winter coat, she's darker than normal, and has no dapples coming out yet -- she's also even shinier than normal...if you can believe that. :)


The barn owner said she was really good for the vet last week (that's a relief!) - she got her round of spring shots, including Coggins, Rabies, EEE/WEE/Tetanus/Flu/Rhino and West Nile. I got the bill the other day...it was more than I expected, but I guess I split the barn fee with fewer horses, and the vet has probably raised prices a bit as well. Normally it is somewhere around $80-90 and this bill was for $127 and change. Not a huge difference, really, but enough that I noticed. 


The farrier is scheduled for the 23rd, which is later than I anticipated. Her hind feet are good, since they're unshod, they are worn down from walking. But I'm sure in two more weeks time, her fronts will be longish.

1 comment:

  1. Yea..it is that time again...shots feet for mee too!
    I do my own injections...one every few days with a puncture wound homeopathy.
    Promise sounds so beautiful right now...take some pics! Love to see her~
    Kac
    Oh..I have not seen it yet..Marley and me...but I will...I will cry terribly too.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson