For a minute this week, I thought I was back in New England! After being decently spring-like on Saturday, Sunday came in with lots of rain that continued into Monday and turned into a wet wintery mix that eventually became snow and slush. Then, on Tuesday, it was in the low 50s and sunny, melting the majority of the snow and ice.
Lessons on Monday were cancelled after about 3 pm, and I wasn't sure if they would cancel on Tuesday because there was no way to know how the roads would be. I got my stuff ready and kept an eye on my email. No email came in, so lessons were on!
I had trouble figuring out how to dress, again. It was still in the 50s when I was leaving. And with the time change, the sun is now up through half of my lesson, but it was supposed to dip into the high 20s/low 30s overnight, which meant it had the potential to get cold quickly. I ended up choosing my long-john long-sleeved shirt and a t-shirt with a vest to ride, and my winter barn jacket as an extra layer while I groomed/turned out, etc. I wish I had put 1 more long-sleeved layer on, because when the wind wasn't blowing, the temperature was perfect for riding, but when the wind picked up, it went right through all 3 of my layers!
There was a note on the lesson page next to Riko's name to give him 2 scoops of Quiessence, so about 45 minutes before the lesson, I put some in his feed bucket and then left him alone until it was time to groom.
He was falling asleep on the cross-ties while I groomed him. I noticed when I went to get his pads, girth and bridle, that the new foam pad I was told about was with his saddle, and it looked really nice. Thicker all around than his old one, but especially in the front.

No comments:
Post a Comment