Thursday, March 9, 2017

Finding a new place to ride

I would say my back is about 95% healed. For the most part, I don't feel any unusual or uncomfortable sensations from it anymore. I've been trying to at least keep my steps up during this healing period, but the truth is, I am just not fit right now. At all. Back in September, I was kicking butt doing P90X3 4-5 days a week and riding. Now, I can barely do 30 minutes of yoga! 

I continue to remind myself that I have been largely inactive since the end of November, when I last rode a horse...and that it takes SO much longer to build fitness than it does to lose it! So, I'm taking it slow, doing what I can, resting when I need to, and my mantra is, listen to your body and DO NOT hurt your back again!

Anyway, I've spent the last few weeks researching barns around my new home. I found several on my own and then went to the Dover Saddlery near me (woohoo, and actual tack shop!!!) and asked the staff if they had any recommendations. Their list closely resembled mine. So, I started reaching out to my first pick, which looked like a nice facility and it was about 15 minutes from home. I thought, how great would that be?! 

The head instructor answered my email within a day or 2. I replied back and then I never heard from her again. So, I stopped over to talk to her in person, and she wasn't teaching that particular night because it was pretty windy and there is no covered arena. A boarder put me in touch with the owner, and we arranged to meet the following evening so she could introduce me.

Long story short, they all seem very nice and I was really interested in trying a few lessons with her to see if we clicked, but I am finding her lack of follow-through very annoying. She took my cell number and said she'd let me know her availability during the week that same evening, and we could go from there. I took her number, too, and confirmed that texting would be the best way to get in touch with her, so I could follow-up. 3 days later, hadn't heard a word from her. So, I texted her. It took another 3 days for her to text me back, and although I replied to her pretty quickly, it's now been 2 more days and I have not heard back. I tend to have a little more patience with horse people, especially those that make a living with them, because I totally get that it is an all-consuming career and it's sometimes hard to get back to people...but, I'm kind of over this. At some point, I start to think, you either want my business or you don't...and I get the distinct impression that she doesn't! 

So, I emailed 3 more barns over the course of the week and have heard back from 2 of them. 1 seemed great but has no school horses available right now, unless I want to lease something (which I do, but can't justify the expense right now), but said to check back in a few months. The other was super friendly and promptly emailed back and forth with me this afternoon. We set up a tour for the middle of next week. 

Fingers crossed I can find something in the next week and get back in the saddle soon. I'm really itching to ride again, even though I know I am going to be incredibly sore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson