Another month has snuck right by me. How does this happen?
Anyway.
Promise has basically just been a horse. Mom and I went up Saturday afternoon and let her out in the arena for a few minutes. She's still not quite sound, but not quite lame - a good portion of it seems like it could be stiffness. There isn't even a hint of head bobbing, but she's still stepping short at the trot, and canter, but seemed to work out of it a little. After she went around a couple times, I trotted her in hand up and back, and then brought her in to hose her off.
At this point, it could just be that she needs to get out and walk on it in a controlled manner (rather than leaving her to her own devices in the paddock). So, what I'm hoping to do is give her this week and next off, since I am out of town this coming weekend, and hopefully hop on her the following weekend to just walk around, maybe mosey down the trail some. I don't think I will be able to lunge her first, due to the way she is currently using the leg, which will be interesting, given how long she's been off. I figure she'll either be the angel she tells everyone else she is...or she'll try to kill me.
She'll probably be fine. If, in fact, she's still sore, in theory, she won't buck because it will hurt. And, if she's not still sore, with any luck, she'll be the adult she's somehow managed to grow into. :)
The wind puffs are mushier/softer, but still quite large. It's been about 6 weeks on the supplement. So, still really too soon to tell anything. I don't think it's *not* working...I do think it's not working as quickly as I had hoped it might. I will give her another two or three months on it (or perhaps finish out the year) and see how she looks then...and if she's largely the same or showing no drastic improvements, I'll take her off of it and see what happens.
It's a huge guessing game at this point. I don't want to push her, but don't want to let her just stand around and not use it, if she should be using it.
Yesterday, I went up and spent a while brushing her, and pulled her mane a little before hosing her off. She seemed to enjoy the short day of beauty and stood ground tied, swatting flies like crazy. And she's always less cranky after getting hosed off, since it cools her down.
I had bought her a package of peppermint flavored mash as a treat, but didn't dare give it to her when I got there, since she'd be getting dinner about 3 hours later. I didn't want to chance getting a colic-call later yesterday evening. So, when I go up in two weeks to ride, I will set it up and cover it before we head to the arena and give it to her when she is done. She also got a peppermint flavored mineral block, which she started on immediately!
Hopefully, she is healing just fine and in a few weeks this will just be a bad memory.
ReplyDeleteI didn't even know they had peppermint flavored mineral blocks. I guess I need to shop more. LOL