Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Is your American flag at half-mast today?






I have been putting off a slight rant for a couple of days now, because I am a firm believer that everyone is entitled to their opinion, whether I agree or disagree. I try to be respectful of all points of view, and always listen and think before I speak, particularly when a topic is controversial in any way, shape or form. 


I am more patriotic than I realize. And I have realized this more and more in the last several days. While I have never agreed with the war we fight, I have always supported and been grateful for the men and women who choose to serve this country and protect our freedom. 


The events at Ford Hood last week are a tragedy that should never have happened on American soil, and certainly not at the hands of an American soldier. I sincerely hope that they find out why the gunman did what he did and that he gets punished to the full extent of the law - perhaps even beyond - for it. 


My thoughts have been with the families of those killed and injured. 


In my opinion, the flag should be at half-mast through today, at least. It is Veterans' Day. This sign of respect and mourning is two-fold. I believe if you fly an American flag, you have a duty to be aware of when it should be flown at half-mast. Now is one of those times. 13 of our soldiers were killed by one of their own, at home. 


It seems that the government agrees. All government buildings I have been by today have their flags at half-mast, which I am pretty sure is the "official" sign of where they are to be flown.


In the last 5 days or so, I have seen more flags sitting at the top of their flag poles - large flags, small flags, enormous flags at car dealerships, etc., and seeing those flags not mourning the loss of our soldiers while a tiny flag at the McDonald's down the street is at half-mast, really breaks my heart. 


I nearly wrote a letter to the Chevy dealership where I bought my car to tell them that I cannot possibly be the only one who has noticed their gigantic American flag is not at half-mast, when those at Toyota and Honda and McDonald's down the road are. And, that it surely is not due to the size of it, because even quarter-mast would be an acceptable sign of respect.


And then I thought about my beliefs, and how I want to respect everyone's opinions as individual. I thought perhaps they flew it at half-mast the day after the Fort Hood events, and I didn't see it then. Or, perhaps, they felt it unnecessary. Either way, I talked myself out of the letter...but I still find it rather upsetting.


We no longer fly an American flag at my house. The last one we had got pretty torn up during a storm, and we have not replaced it. Our neighbor offered to dispose of it for us when he saw us take it down. But, you better believe, if it was flying, it would not be at the top of the pole.


Thank a veteran today. Thank a current serviceman or woman today. No matter what your beliefs are, without them, our freedom wouldn't be what it is today.




I will have an update on Promise tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson