Anyway, Fugly's post today got me thinking.
A letter from your horse ...original version and the real story ...
When you are tense, let me teach you to relax. On the days when I go to the barn so utterly stressed out I am likely to be bald (because I pulled all my hair out in one fell swoop) if anyone so much as looks at me cross eyed. I leave as if nothing is wrong...or was ever wrong. Relaxation.
When you are short tempered, let me teach you to be patient. I rarely lose my temper with Promise, unless she's being *really* bad, and then she usually gets to work for her efforts.
When you are short sighted, let me teach you to see. Perhaps not exactly what's meant, but I believe owning a horse, like owning a dog, or another critter that depends on you for everything, is incredible. I have learned so much about myself, about life, about love, about responsibility...and most importantly, about budgeting money.
When you are quick to react, let me teach you to be thoughtful. Sometimes with Promise, my first instinctual reaction is really not the best way for me to proceed in order for her to learn something. It took me a long time to realize that. It also took me a long time to learn to listen to my gut when it says, uhm, you really need to lunge her before you get on today, instead of saying, nope just gonna hop on. And the skills I learned in training her from day 1 to now, carry over into other aspects of my life...even into the classroom. Many of the methods I used to teach her, were taken into my Leadership courses and adapted however they needed to be (if needed at all) into a way to interact with humans.
When you are angry, let me teach you to be serene. I learned in our first two years together that if I let myself get angry at her, she behaves worse...and it continues to compound exponentially until I let it go. So...I learned to let it go sooner so that we can get on with life.
When you feel superior, let me teach you to be respectful. I don't honestly think I have ever let myself feel superior to my horse. I try to be respectful because I expect the same from her.
When you are self absorbed, let me teach you to think of greater things. When I am feeling low and go there for that relaxation aspect, I am often self-absorbed in that I am withdrawn. I go to Promise in those times because she reminds me what unconditional means. She reminds me that there is good even in the midst of a lot of bad.
When you are arrogant, let me teach you humility. When I am feeling arrogant, my ass is in the dirt. Humility.
When you are lonely, let me be your companion. When I got robbed at gun point, the only place I felt safe for a long time was with Promise. When my first boyfriend broke up with me, she took my mind off of it, even for just the few hours I'd spend with her. When we put Harley to sleep, I actually avoided her for a few days...but ultimately, I felt like she knew, and told me we'd done the right thing.
When you are tired, let me carry the load. When I am tired in life...emotionally, more than physically...she is my reprieve.
When you need to learn, let me teach you. After all, I am your horse. Well, this one sort of speaks for itself I think.
And now, the REAL story.....
And of course...these don't need any further explanation!
When you are tense, let me teach you that there are lions in them thar woods, and we need to leave NOW!
When you are short tempered, let me teach you to slog around the pasture for an hour before you can catch me.
When you are short sighted, let me teach you to figure out where, exactly, in the 40 acres I am hiding.
When you are quick to react, let me teach you that herbivores kick much faster (harder) than omnivores.
When you are angry, let me teach you how well I can stand on my hind feet because I don't feel like cantering on my right lead today.
When you are worried, let me entertain you with my mystery lameness.
When you feel superior, let me teach you that, mostly, you are the maid service.
When you are self absorbed, let me teach you to PAY ATTENTION. Remember? I told you about those lions in them thar woods?
When you are arrogant, let me teach you what 1200 lbs. Of "YAHOO LETS GO!" can do when suitably inspired.
When you are lonely, let me be your companion. Let's do lunch. Also, breakfast and dinner.
When you are tired, don't forget the 600lbs. Of grain that needs to be unloaded.
When you are feeling financially secure, let me teach you the meaning of "Veterinary Services".
When you need to learn, hang around, bud. I'll learn ya.
When you are tense, let me teach you to relax. On the days when I go to the barn so utterly stressed out I am likely to be bald (because I pulled all my hair out in one fell swoop) if anyone so much as looks at me cross eyed. I leave as if nothing is wrong...or was ever wrong. Relaxation.
When you are short tempered, let me teach you to be patient. I rarely lose my temper with Promise, unless she's being *really* bad, and then she usually gets to work for her efforts.
When you are short sighted, let me teach you to see. Perhaps not exactly what's meant, but I believe owning a horse, like owning a dog, or another critter that depends on you for everything, is incredible. I have learned so much about myself, about life, about love, about responsibility...and most importantly, about budgeting money.
When you are quick to react, let me teach you to be thoughtful. Sometimes with Promise, my first instinctual reaction is really not the best way for me to proceed in order for her to learn something. It took me a long time to realize that. It also took me a long time to learn to listen to my gut when it says, uhm, you really need to lunge her before you get on today, instead of saying, nope just gonna hop on. And the skills I learned in training her from day 1 to now, carry over into other aspects of my life...even into the classroom. Many of the methods I used to teach her, were taken into my Leadership courses and adapted however they needed to be (if needed at all) into a way to interact with humans.
When you are angry, let me teach you to be serene. I learned in our first two years together that if I let myself get angry at her, she behaves worse...and it continues to compound exponentially until I let it go. So...I learned to let it go sooner so that we can get on with life.
When you feel superior, let me teach you to be respectful. I don't honestly think I have ever let myself feel superior to my horse. I try to be respectful because I expect the same from her.
When you are self absorbed, let me teach you to think of greater things. When I am feeling low and go there for that relaxation aspect, I am often self-absorbed in that I am withdrawn. I go to Promise in those times because she reminds me what unconditional means. She reminds me that there is good even in the midst of a lot of bad.
When you are arrogant, let me teach you humility. When I am feeling arrogant, my ass is in the dirt. Humility.
When you are lonely, let me be your companion. When I got robbed at gun point, the only place I felt safe for a long time was with Promise. When my first boyfriend broke up with me, she took my mind off of it, even for just the few hours I'd spend with her. When we put Harley to sleep, I actually avoided her for a few days...but ultimately, I felt like she knew, and told me we'd done the right thing.
When you are tired, let me carry the load. When I am tired in life...emotionally, more than physically...she is my reprieve.
When you need to learn, let me teach you. After all, I am your horse. Well, this one sort of speaks for itself I think.
And now, the REAL story.....
And of course...these don't need any further explanation!
When you are tense, let me teach you that there are lions in them thar woods, and we need to leave NOW!
When you are short tempered, let me teach you to slog around the pasture for an hour before you can catch me.
When you are short sighted, let me teach you to figure out where, exactly, in the 40 acres I am hiding.
When you are quick to react, let me teach you that herbivores kick much faster (harder) than omnivores.
When you are angry, let me teach you how well I can stand on my hind feet because I don't feel like cantering on my right lead today.
When you are worried, let me entertain you with my mystery lameness.
When you feel superior, let me teach you that, mostly, you are the maid service.
When you are self absorbed, let me teach you to PAY ATTENTION. Remember? I told you about those lions in them thar woods?
When you are arrogant, let me teach you what 1200 lbs. Of "YAHOO LETS GO!" can do when suitably inspired.
When you are lonely, let me be your companion. Let's do lunch. Also, breakfast and dinner.
When you are tired, don't forget the 600lbs. Of grain that needs to be unloaded.
When you are feeling financially secure, let me teach you the meaning of "Veterinary Services".
When you need to learn, hang around, bud. I'll learn ya.
No comments:
Post a Comment